Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Insistence of Life


Look what I found growing from a crack in the pavement next to a garage in my apartment parking lot! A tomato plant with fruit!

 
I was walking by and tend to notice weeds, bugs, and pretty much anything but the other humans around me. When I spotted this, it just blew my mind.
 
 
Has anyone else ever seen anything like this before?


I never thought of a vegetable (okay, tomato is fruit) as a spontaneous, wild weed...but here it is. So insistent on growing and producing that it's nearly un-stoppable. If we could get more healthy food growing from sidewalk cracks everywhere, just think of the effect on our diets. (I did not try a tomato from this plant though, just in case some person or their dog peed on it at some point. Guess that's the caveat, eh?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The birds like those little cherry tomatoes and we find them popping up all over around here. But I have never seen one growing through the cracks in concrete, although I did hear tell of it somewhere else. Tough little plants. Reverting back into their wild state. :)

Garden Broad said...

I never really considered that birds would spread tomato seeds, though I used to get lots of chipmunks eating my cherry tomatoes-maybe a squirrel "planted" this one?